Kethuvim

It means "writings." I write things.

8:14 AM

Confidence and Peace

Posted by Brad Polley |

I'm still studying Isaiah. In fact, I'm pretty sure that God keeps adding new chapters every day. I'm on chapter 134; I thought there only used to be like 6o some chapters. Anyway, in 26:3, I came across a great passage.

"You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you."

"Steadfast" is a poor translation, because no one even knows what the crap it means. The Hebrew word is samak and it means, "confident." So the passage basically says that God grants perfect peace to those whose minds are confident. Confident in what? Confident in our God. Confident that he is good, and that he provides. Confident that he is loving.

Think about the correlation between confidence in God and having peace. What in the world could bother you if you have complete trust and confidence in God? What a sense of peace that would be!

A couple of things come to mind with this passage. First are the words of Paul, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, bring your requests before God. And the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." In other words, stop freaking out about stuff and give it to God. Easier said than done, I fully realize. However, if we had confidence and trust in God, this would be easy, then we would have peace that surpasses all understanding.

The other thing that comes to mind is this quote from Thomas Merton. It's so good, that it deserves a bigger font.

"For perfect hope is achieved on the brink of despair, when instead of falling off the edge, we find ourselves walking on the air."

Will you all now join in one big rousing "freakin' a"? Thank you. Now moving on, how many of us in tough times find ourselves falling off the edge instead of floating on air? I know I do most times. All of these things are connected. Faith, trust, confidence, and hope. It's all intertwined and it all leads to peace.

May God grant you peace in any circumstance.

3 comments:

matt said...

You said, "Freakin' a." I'm telling mom.

Good thoughts. Confidence in God is a lot easier said then done for me. Especially when nothing seems to go right in my eyes. What do I know though? I'm not God.

Can I get a rousing "freakin' a" for that?

Oops.

Brad Polley said...

hey jim...i mean "bitterpewdweller." if pat robertson becomes president, i'm moving to iraq. it will be safer to live there than here.

matt said...

speaking of pat robertson--who, by the way, i would totally vote for just for the 4 years of entertaining sound bytes--i caught him last night on t.v. defending bush's right to spy. he thinks the american people appreciate it.

idiot. freaking idiot.

Subscribe