Kethuvim

It means "writings." I write things.

11:19 AM

Suffering...Again

Posted by Brad Polley |

I swear that I'm not obsessed with suffering. I don't like it anymore that anyone else, but for some reason, I keep happening onto these different passages concerning suffering. I can't get away from them. I come across them in the Bible, I come across them in other readings, I can't help it. I guess these passages stand out to me so much, because they fly in the face of the American Prosperity Gospel that is so prevelant today. Actually, most American Christians are raised on this type of thought and theology. It isn't all as overt and satanic as Joel Osteen's message or anything, but it's there nonetheless. For example, none of my preachers growing up ever claimed that God wanted you to be rich and powerful, but they still taught that, overall, God wanted you to be happy. So I grew up thinking that God wanted all to be happiness, and when something didn't make me happy, it was Satan's fault.

I've been studying Isaiah for quite awhile, and he touches upon this idea many times. I came across one I couldn't ignore this morning. These words I'm about to show you come from the King Hezekiah. He had been struck with an illness and then healed by God, and his words here are commenting on his situation.

"But what can I say? He [God] has spoken to me, and he himself has done this. I will walk humbly all my years because of this anguish of my soul. Lord, by such things men live; and my spirit finds life in them too. You restored me to health and let me live. Suely is was for my benefit that I suffered such anguish. In your love you kept me from the pit of destruction; you have put all my sins behind your back."

I wonder how these prosperity guys handle a passage like this. My guess is that they skip right over it because there's no way to refute Hezekiah's words and change them to mean something else. They sure as crap don't preach a passage like this. Hezekiah not only says that God was directly responsible for his suffering, but he say that "by such things men live." He is essentially saying that we cannot be whole and alive without suffering and anguish. He then has the audacity to blame God for his anguish then turn around and talk about God's love. This is just beyond fascinating to me, because it goes against our natural human reactions to adversity. Our first reaction is to blame God for his absence and then say things like, "God has a plan in all of this," although we know when we say it that we're full of crap. We never think of God sending suffering our way as his way of loving us. We feel punished. Yet Hezekiah (and it seems everyone else in the Bible) see it as a loving Father desiring growth from his people. I could go on forever with this stuff, but I want to hear what you all (3 of you) have to say.

3 comments:

matt said...

As the Author of Life God alone has the right to with that life what He pleases, i.e., bless it, cause it to suffer, take it away. Only He can do this perfectly and in accordance with his perfect will. This is simply beyond our comprehension because all that we know is the evil that serves as a crappy imitation of this in our world, taking life that was not its to take, causing suffering that was not part of God's creation, etc. this is why we rail against suffering so much. does that make sense?

Brad Polley said...

yeah, it makes sense. if i create a clay pot, as its creator, i have the right to do with it what I want. i can put it on the mantle for all to see, i can break it, i can paint it, i can do anything i want to it. its the right of the creator to do what he wants with his created. now, if i love my clay pot, i'm not going to break it, i'm only going to seek to protect it. God loves his creation, all of it, and as such, he wants the best for us. the problem is that we really have no idea what is good for us. we can't hardly see past today, we have no idea what will benefit us tomorrow. we think we do, but we don't. God loves everything. he loves us all, only he knows what is best.

Brad Polley said...

Exactly right on all accounts. Paul says this, "suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope." Pretty hard to read around that.

Subscribe