Kethuvim

It means "writings." I write things.

8:26 AM

Surviving Mediocrity

Posted by Brad Polley |

In most churches, I've heard sermons preached about living life on the mountaintop and living life in the valley. What about living life somewhere in the middle? I've never seen a book written about that or a sermon preached on it. Are we just supposed to know how to live life when things aren't great, but they aren't that bad? I'm feeling mediocre right now. I'm not great, but I'm not bad either. I feel like I'm living in an earthly purgatory. I'm sort of waiting for either an ascent or a descent, and in the meantime doing nothing more than surviving through habit and routine.

How do we find God in these times of life? It's easy to find God when you're really up, and it's even fairly easy to find God when you've hit bottom, but it seems more difficult in the middle. What's the answer? Do I go skydiving or play chicken with an oncoming train to break the monotony? Do I find a mountain and sit on it while composing John Denver-ish poetry about how I see God in the trees? There are no easy answers and I'm not sure the Bible is black and white on the issue either (yes, I'm suggesting that the Bible isn't black and white). I know I should pray more and read my Bible more, I've heard those answers since I was a kid; but what about when you don't really feel like doing that? Man I wish Joel Osteen would write a book that would give me the answers. Of course, he never lives in the middle because he's constantly in God's favor.

4 comments:

Brad Polley said...

Exactly. How do you live as a disciple in the middle? Are we made to live in the middle?

Evan. said...

hey just spent a hour and a half catching up on your blog. good stuff.
i find myself in the middle more than anything. i have to agree that it is harder to find god in the grey opposed to the black or white.
its easy to see him when everything is denver-esq, and you wind up running to him, eventually when things suck...playing chicken with trains has never appealed to me.
not to be too phlysopical i think we're probly ment to live in all these places. everything exists in comparison(hot would just BE if not for cold) so why would this be any diffrent?...

Brad Polley said...

Yeah, I agree. We are designed to live in all areas like that. The thing I don't understand is that there isn't an easy prescription for how to live in the middle. I'm sure it's designed that way. God doesn't really ever want discipleship to be easy. I think I'll go skydiving...

Brad Polley said...

I feel like an olive that is sitting the press just waiting for the inevitable squeeze. Let God use the olive press to yield your best product...figuratively speaking of course.

Subscribe