Kethuvim

It means "writings." I write things.

1:18 PM

Unintended consequences of the economy

Posted by Brad Polley |

I've been thinking about this since the economic disaster began.  Is it possible that one of the unintended consequences of the horrible economic state we find ourselves in is that people will stop buying so much crap, and actually shun rampant materialism?  I remember after 9/11 when Wall Street tanked, President Bush got on national TV and urged Americans to go spend money.  I remember thinking at the time that that didn't sound like a very good long-term solution to economic issues, because people were just using credit cards to buy the stuff.  Well, here we are.  I've heard similar politicians recently stating that the key to rebuilding the economy is for people to spend.  Well, the problem this time is that hardly anyone has the money to spend.  Once again, horrible solution to the economic crisis. 


Let's face it, Americans (including myself, though I'm trying my best to remedy this) are materialistic.  We love our stuff and lots of it.  But when people are losing their jobs, and can't get credit for anything right now, people are being forced away from materialism out of necessity. The only problem is that they may be forced away from materialism because they're broke, but their hearts may remain unchanged.

I think it's a good time for the Church to step up with Jesus' admonition, "a man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions."  


1 comments:

Bill (cycleguy) said...

Couldn't agree with you more (surprised?) It is high time the church take the proactive role instead of reactive. People don't want our words they want to see it.

Subscribe