Kethuvim

It means "writings." I write things.

8:22 AM

Ahhhhhhhhh...Sweeeeeeettttsss

Posted by Brad Polley |

So lent ended on Sunday. I gave up sweets for lent and it was hard, but I survived. I figured that if Jesus could be nailed to a cross, I could give up sweets for 50 days.

If I'm not mistaken, the point of lent is to sacrifice something that controls you in order to focus on God. Also, I think a by-product of lent is to try and work on an area of life that needs work. So I decided that my love handles are large enough and if they get any bigger, I'm going to look like a Christmas tree with small top, large middle, and small lower end. During lent I made a mental list of all the sweets I was going to eat when lent ended. First on my list was a Cadbury Egg. Other items included brownie with ice cream, chocolate milk, and anything emanating from the entire flippin' Willy Wonka factory.

On Sunday, my pastor handed me a Cadbury Egg at church. I proceeded to wolf it down like Augustus Gloop on a chocolate bender. I enjoyed the frothy goodness of sugar and fat until it mixed with the acid in my stomach. Keep in mind, the only other thing in my stomach was communion, which doesn't amount to a whole lot from a volume standpoint. At that point my stomach was saying something to the effect of, "I hate you, you stupid (insert long string of expletives)." I was pretty sure I was going to barf somewhere mid-sermon. At that point, I realized that my body was sending a clear warning that I was probably going to have pace myself on the whole sweets thing. At this point, I've done pretty well in that area, but it's taking everything in me to not shove my entire carmel-filled chocolate bunny into my mouth at once. I just figure my pants are tight enough and I'm not buying a bigger size to accomadate my girth.

4 comments:

Brad Polley said...

When I think of Christian asceticism, your name is the first to come to mind. You're a modern-day, St. Francis.

Sarlizgd said...

As soon as I saw you with that egg on Sunday morning, I told my mom you were going to get sick... hehe. Yay for a weekend with Jr. Highers and Foundation Red (will they NEVER go away?).

Brad Polley said...

I'm not sure what is less appealing, a weekend with junior highers or a weekend being forced to listen to Foundation Red.

Evan. said...

!!!!!!!!SATALITE!!!!!!!

Subscribe