Kethuvim

It means "writings." I write things.

7:44 AM

I just don't get it...

Posted by Brad Polley |

So I received something in the mail today for a youth event here in our community. It's being put on by a couple of churches and their youth groups. They're having a speaker come in and some local Christian band is doing a concert. Anyway, the flyer had a statement that sent my crap detector into overdrive. It said, "Come to something that is out of the world" (editor's note: italics used for emphasis).

Never mind the lame attempt at a quippy play on words, the message is what bothers me. Since when are we as Christians supposed to retreat from the world? The message of this flyer is clear; this event is for Christians, non-believers need not show up. I am so incredibly tired of this type of crap, I could just scream. Let me show you a passage from the Apostle Paul that applies pretty well here.

"I have written you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people--not at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world."

What part of this passage do we not understand as Christians? Oh wait, the entire second part, that's it. Paul is telling us that we cannot retreat from the world. In fact, his tone seems to suggest he would have thought it ridiculous to do so. My problem with this event is the same problem I have with Christian radio stations, Christian book stores, and Christian television. It all sends a message to non-believers that it belongs to us and no one else.

I don't understand how we can talk so much about the Great Commission, and yet we can suck so badly at fulfilling it. Jesus tells us to "Go and make disciples of all nations..." The interesting thing is that the Greek for "go" is actually better translated, "as you are going." In other words Jesus is saying, "Hey, while you're out there in the world, make disciples." We can't do that if we're constantly removing ourselves from the world in order to huddle with one another in our "sanctuaries." It's no wonder why the American Church is completely ineffective.

2 comments:

Brad Polley said...

I always wonder what the Disciples would say if they could see the church today My guess is that they would be horrified by our buildings, horrified by CIY and other big events, and horrified by the way we've morphed the peaceful message of Jesus into a war-mongering, hate-filled crusade against anyone that disagrees with us.

Ben Stevenson said...

"Do not love the world or anything in the world." (See 1 John 2:15-17)
We are meant to be "in the world" (1 Corinthians 5:9-10), "but not of the world" (1 John 2:15-17). I guess the flyer was probably making a reference to a not being worldly.

Subscribe