Kethuvim

It means "writings." I write things.

12:11 PM

Some thoughts running through the ole' duder's head

Posted by Brad Polley |

Since Haiti, I've had an increasingly uneasy feeling about my life. I can't really explain it, suffice it to say that I feel like I'm resisting what God is calling me to do because I'm a pansy. I'm becoming more and more disenchanted with the American Church because of their lack of a spine. They say they stand for things like justice, peace, and love, but really it's all lies. What the American Church really stands for is prosperity (personal and corporate), doing just enough to get to heaven but not really change, and saving souls (read: pad heaven's stats but ignoring the here and now needs of the people that Jesus told us to help).

I know all of this comes across as grumpy, anti-American, and unevangelistic, but who cares. Sorry I guess, stop reading if you're uncomfortable. I feel like God is calling me to be an advocate for people who have no voice, which actually might be the purpose of being a minister. I'm not actually sure what form this is going to take, but frankly, I'm not excited about the task. Why am I not excited? Because it will probably cost me a lot. My job, my house, my comfort. People in America don't like when Christians, especially ministers, decide to start speaking up about injustice. It's obtrusive, caustic, and uncomfortable. If Jesus taught me anything it's that when you take up the cause of the oppressed, the religious establishment will hate you for it, and they'll crucify you to shut you up.

I saw a lot of injustice in Haiti, but I also see a lot of injustice in America and in my own communtiy. These people need a voice, I feel like I'm called to be a voice. The question is whether or not I'll accept the challenge or go on being comfortable.

3 comments:

matt said...

lot of ins and outs...lot of what-have-yous. it's very complex, man.

kimberly said...

Since I got back from Palestine I've been thinking a lot of the same thoughts. There was so much injustice there and so much need and I was trying to think of things I could do. But I think that experience has been more of an eye opening thing for me to look around and see all the injustice that exists in my little world.

I've gotten a lot of crap for even throwing around the idea that the Israeli government is full of douchebags and people have said I'm going against the bible. They've even gone as far as to say that "those people are too far gone. they don't need jesus. we need to just bomb them back to the 7th century."

Apparently political agendas are more biblical/important than, I don't know, ministering to people.

Anyway. I'm right there with you. That whole feeling like I'm being moved toward something like that but not knowing exactly what it is.

Brad Polley said...

Yeah, I'm pretty tired of the "Israel can do no wrong" philosophy." People that believe that obviously have never read the Old Testament anyway. They weren't exactly perfect in that day and they sure aren't now. That thought form is based on complete ignorance.

Subscribe