Kethuvim

It means "writings." I write things.

2:32 PM

Salvation - part 1

Posted by Brad Polley |

Did you whince when you read the title for this post? Me too. This may sound heretical and sacriligious, but I can't stand that word. Maybe that's not 100% true. Perhaps it would be more accurate to say that I can't stand what the Church has done to that word. We've neutered it, narrowed it down to just a select few that we can't agree on, and, in turn, lost nearly all of the original meaning of the word itself.

When you think of the the word salvation, what comes to mind? For some of us, the thoughts that come to us might be positive. Mine would be positive, but also incredibly muddy and odd. But for a great many people, the word salvation conjours up nothing but horrible memories. I have a kid in my youth group who's dad will have nothing to do with the Church because, as a child, he was at a church camp where they blocked him onto a boat dock and wouldn't let him off until he "accepted Jesus and was saved." That makes me want to puke, but many people have similar thoughts about salvation. So what else comes to mind? Heaven? Hell? A helmet-haired televangelist admonishing you to secure your place in heaven by sending that check? These are some of the thoughts that come to my mind as well.

I'm pretty tired of hearing about salvation in the Church. I'm tired of salvation being reduced to a future thing, while ignoring this life. I'm tired of Christians talking about who they "saved" this week, as if people are part of some giant checklist.

It sounds scandalous to a great many Christians, but the salvation that Jesus spoke of had very little to do with the afterlife. It had everything to do with this life. There's a great story in the book of Luke where Jesus talks to a man named Zacchaeus (evidentally a wee little man). Zacchaeus was a tax collector, which meant that he was basically a rip-off artist who preyed on the poor and oppressed in order to line his own pockets (did tunics have pockets?). Jesus comes into town and calls to Zac (I'm tired of typing his whole name) and invites himself over to dinner at Zac's house. The religious people start grumbling about the fact that Jesus is associating with a "sinner," but Jesus continues on to Zac's house anyway. Zac's first words to Jesus are this:

"Look, Lord! Here and now I give half of my possessions to the poor, and if I have cheated anybody out of anything, I will pay back four times the amount."

Interesting words from Zac, because he's essentially agreeing to bankrupt himself. Keep in mind that the text never says whether or not Zac followed through on his promise. All it says is that he makes this promise to Jesus. Jesus' response is, "Today, salvation has come to this house..." An interesting note here is Jesus' play on words. The Hebrew word for salvation is "Yeshua," which, incidentally, is Jesus' real name in Hebrew.

So this passage leads to a lot of questions. What does Jesus mean by salvation? If he means what most American Christians believe he means, then we have to conclude that all it takes to get to heaven is to say you're going to do something. Forget all of our doctrine on baptism being the means to salvation (it doesn't say anything about Zac being baptized, and interestingly enough, the Bible never mentions any of Jesus' disciples being baptized either). Forget all of our doctrine on "accepting Jesus into your heart" or "professing Jesus as oyur Lord and Savior. All we get from the text is that Zac said he would give half of everything he had to the poor, and Jesus in return "saves" Zac. If you're going to stick to the fundamentalist view that salvation is all about heaven, then you're quickly painting yourself into a corner that you can't get out of. We'll talk more about that in the next post.

I contend that Jesus is speaking of a much deeper salvation; a salvation that takes place in the here and now. I believe that Zac was saved from a life of materialism. I believe that he was saved from a life of ripping people off. I believe he was saved from a life of selfishness and greed. That's real, down-to-earth, present-day salvation, not some "pie in the sky when you die" garbage. Jesus realized that Zac needed to be saved from his ways. He needed to be saved from a horrible life of not caring about anyone but himself.

In the next post, we'll explore the root of the word salvation and, according to the Bible, how you attain it.

4 comments:

matt said...

know what else is interesting to me?

there is no record of Jesus asking Zac to give away his money. what prompted him? what was so arresting about Jesus that Zac was just like, "Freak it, I'm giving it all away"?

when Jesus gets a hold of someone, you don't have to browbeat change into them, it just happens.

kimberly said...

a few things.
1. matthew. i toootally said that the other night.

2. i've been to zacchaeus' tree in jericho. and if he really was a wee little man, there's not a chance he could've gotten up in that tree without a boost from someone. ... just saying. those branches are HIGH.

3. i guess i would never look at that passage and think that it's saying getting to heaven only takes saying you're going to do something. the middle eastern culture is one of honor and respect and so when you say you're going to do something, you do it. and i kind of feel like the question of whether or not zachhy boy ever gave the money is a question that shouldn't even bother being brought up.

Zachhy obviously acknowledges Jesus as Lord. And I think he knows and believes in who he is. I'm kind of of the opinion that doing good things and giving money away sans the profession of or belief in Christ as savior is just social activism. Yeah it's good for the world - and I'm all about it, but it doesn't mean anything when it comes to God.

I'm all about the kingdom in the here and now and all that. But I'm not really into throwing out doctrine. I really think there's a mental assent that takes place when it comes to salvation. Both present day salvation and your eternal salvation. Jesus isn't just going to come in your life save you because you served lunch at a homeless shelter. You have to allow it to happen. Your heart has to be in the right place. Jesus knew Zachhy's heart. Zachhy professed him as Lord.

I'm not sure any of that makes sense. But it does in my head. So.

Brad Polley said...

Actually, I'm not advocating throwing out doctrine. I'm speaking mainly to the idea that a great many Christians have that basically boils down to professing the right things and nothing else. The text never says that Zac said the sinner's prayer or was baptized. I know that to you and me, that doesn't mean much, but how many Christians do you know who are total literalists when it comes to the Scriptures? "If the Bible says it, I do it, if it doesn't, I don't." I hear that kind of thing all the time. My point is that if you're only going to use the Bible to prove certain points like salvation, you're going to have a hard time landing on a concrete answer as to how to attain it.

kimberly said...

Man I won't lie. I like to be a literalist when it comes to the bible sometimes. It gives me free reign for smoking weed.

This one passage in 1 Corinthians 11 says Paul was stoned. So I'm pretty sure that means tokin' is okay.

Subscribe