Kethuvim

It means "writings." I write things.

12:03 PM

Unanswered invitations

Posted by Brad Polley |

For the last few years I've been questioning everything that the Church does. Personally, I feel like I should be doing this as a minister. I think that one of the reasons the Church is in such a mess is that there haven't been enough people asking the big "why?" question. But I digress. Actually, I didn't digress because I haven't made a point about anything yet (editor's note: This section should have been removed before hitting the publish button. Sorry for the inconvenience.), but whatever.

So what I've been thinking about recently is, why do churches offer an "invitation" time (some churches call this an altar call). If you've never been to church before, let me explain. This is the time, usually after the teaching, where the speaker invites people to come forward and "accept Jesus." There is then 3 or so minutes of music in which people can respond. Here's the thing, I've grown up in church my whole life, and I can honestly only remember 3 times where someone has come forward spontaneously. In every other instance, it was scripted. The people had already met with the pastor and scheduled the time they would come forward. Does this seem ridiculous to anyone else? Out of thousands of church services I have attended, I've only seen 3 spontaneous responses. That's crazy.

So why do we do it? This is a question where I can honestly say I don't have an answer. The only thing I can figure is that the modern "altar call" as we know it, must have evolved out of tent revivals. At some point along the way, someone must have said, "Let's do that this Sunday" and the rest is history. I firmly believe that we offer invitation times simply because we always have. It's another instance of doing things just because that's the way it's always been done. It's time for the Church to stop and think about these kinds of things.

Unanswered invitations make the Church and the pastor look bad. When no one comes forward, which is definitely a majority of the time, what that says to anyone visiting who isn't a follower of Jesus is this, "Our message is so revolutionary and earth-shattering, that no one responded to it." That's not to say that people don't make changes in their lives, and it's not to say that people don't sit in their seats and make a decision to do something, but that's exactly my point. Why do you have to come forward in order to decide to follow Jesus? The answer: you don't. If there are any other pastors out there reading this, take a good look at the issue and ask some of the tougher questions of "why?". You may find that there isn't a good answer.

3 comments:

kimberly said...

sometimes i feel like you're stalking me. because i'll have conversations with people about something and then you post about the same subject on your blog a few days later. creep.

anyway. we have an invitation at my church every week. and it seems to me that the message will have nothing to do with "turning your life over to christ" until the last 30 seconds when a cheesy crossover is made.

a few weeks ago they were talking about being a part of a team and how we all have to work together blah blah blah. never really talked about like, christ being the head of the team. then at the last second he's like, now if you want to be on Jesus' team, the team that never loses, then come forward and give your life to christ.

a friend of mine said something interesante a couple days ago. most of the sermons you hear these days are about 10 steps to have a better marriage or three steps to have a better prayer life or whatever. but hardly ever about jesus/his life. and how maybe we should be preaching the same message every week, albeit in different words because theres a million different ways to tell about jesus and his life and such, but nonetheless, the message of jesus, because people still aren't getting it. and not that getting it means "being saved" but people aren't emulating it.

maybe if sermons were being preached that weren't just feel goody yay hoorah! pastor mike has taught me to have financial bliss! sermons, lives might be changed. i can't tell you the last time i heard a message on ... jesus. and his life. and the new life he has to offer.

maybe i feel like... that whole, turning your life to christ thing should be presented in a different way? besides tacked on to the end of an irrelevant sermon? made more personal. not awkward on the spot come forward in front of all these people.

whatever.

Brad Polley said...

I am most definitely stalking you.

I think careful observation would show that the churches that are actually changing lives are focusing on Jesus' life and new life in him. I find it interesting that you never see Jesus offering a 3-point sermon or a 10-step process to anything.

matt said...

he's stalking you and i own you. it's a polley sandwich.

by the way you heard sermons all the time from me about jesus' life and our new life......you butt.

Subscribe