Kethuvim

It means "writings." I write things.

3:05 PM

I don't roll on Shabbas

Posted by Brad Polley |

I'm reading The Sabbath by Abraham Joshua Heschel. I'm starting to realize that I haven't had a true Sabbath in months. The purpose of the Sabbath isn't just rest, it's to center ourselves on the Creator. In Heschel's words, "The Sabbath teaches all beings whom to praise." In my words, it's not just a day off, it's a day up. We're always defined by what we do. If you don't believe me, listen in on a conversation between two people who have never met, and see how long it takes for someone to ask, "So what do you do?" The Sabbath is a reminder that we aren't defined by what we do, but by who we belong to. We cheapen the Sabbath when we make it a purely physical experience. It's about soul care, and, frankly, my soul could be better. Here's what Heschel says about it.

"Six days a week we wrestle with the world, wringing profit from the earth; on the Sabbath, we especially care for the seed of eternity planted in the soul. The world has our hands, but our soul belongs to Someone Else. Six days a week, we seek to dominate the world, on the seventh day we try to dominate the self."

I can't leave my job behind. I have a day off most weeks. But even on my day off, I can't disengage from what I do. I'm constantly thinking and worrying about the people I minister to. For the Sabbath to truly be holy (set apart) as God intends it to be, we have to leave the world behind and focus on who we are. We have to set apart a time for God to be the center, and for him to be the center, everything else has to fade away. I believe the health of our souls depends on our ability to disconnect from our world and connect to the One who created it all. That's what the Sabbath is...a disconnection for the sake of connection. We will never find the wholeness we desire without Sabbath.

3 comments:

kimberly said...

i've been thinking maybe sabbath isn't just a once a week kind of thing. but more of a daily thing. a daily resting in the presence of god. ... i mean, look at jesus, he was all about ministering on sabbath. he was always looking after people and such all the time. but he still had times when it was just him and the father too. or maybe i just like to make things up. i dunno. anyway. i kinda feel like the idea of a once a week sabbath is like going to church once a week. once a week you get your fix and get on with your life. an everyday kind of sabbath makes the relationship with god seem more... personal. and it demands more of a person. kind of. like, you have to make that time for just chillaxin with god.

Brad Polley said...

I'm actually teaching on Sabbath this Sunday and one of my points is that it isn't the day that's holy, it's the act.

matt said...

i'm arab shabbas.

Subscribe