Kethuvim

It means "writings." I write things.

3:30 PM

Morbid thought of the day

Posted by Brad Polley |

We're all going to die. Really. You, me, that guy, all of us. I've been thinking about this alot lately because we've had a couple of people in my congregation get some very bleak news from the doctors regarding cancer. A woman in our church heard the words, "There's nothing we can do" this week from the doctor. How true.

I think the reason we struggle with death is because we secretly think we're immortal. We're not. Doctors and medicine don't help either. You watch the average medical commercial and you get the feeling that you'll be around forever. This is why it tears us apart when we lose someone close to us, because it violently slams us back into reality. "If he died, then I guess I will too." Think about it. Have you ever gone to a funeral of someone you loved, looked into the casket and thought, "That'll be me someday." I bet you have, but maybe at a deeper level.

Medicine is an illusion. All doctors know that all they exist to do is to delay the inevitable, and maybe lessen the pain as your life slips away. Maybe we would have a better grasp of reality if doctors, upon bringing you out of the womb, said to your parents, "There's nothing we can do." They can't. Don't get me wrong, I think doctors have their place. They can, at times, give us a few more years with our loved ones. I'm just wondering if all of our medical advances interrupt some part of the natural order. By the way, I'm not having a bad day, I've just been thinking about this lately.

4 comments:

mike-daddy said...

I didn't know you took the Colts loss so hard.

Gangy said...

I hope the Travelocity Gnome reads your blog - I'm sure it would clear up his confusion about whether or not he's going to die. Seriously, I do think about leaving this earth, not like every single day or anything but a lot of days I'm really ready to get off this ride. Don't you sometimes wonder what Jesus is waiting for? I know I do.

matt said...

Jesus is waiting for the Colts to beat the Pats.

Brad Polley said...

He's going to be waiting at least another year, because it sure isn't going to happen this year.

Subscribe