Kethuvim

It means "writings." I write things.

5:30 PM

The Suffering From God

Posted by Brad Polley |

I was reading "The Practice of the Presence of God" by Brother Lawrence of the Resurrection today and I came across this statement in a letter he wrote to a nun in 1690.

"God often permits us to suffer alittle in order to purify our souls, and to make us remain in him." He then says in another letter: "The worldly do not understand these truths, and I am not surprised; the reason is that they suffer as citizens of this world and not as Christians. They consider illnesses as natural afflictions and not as graces from God..."

Ok, so does anyone else find this a little strange and, maybe, more than a little bit disturbing? This isn't something you're going to hear Joel Osteen and the rest of the prosperity gospel guys preaching about on TBN. According to them, God wants you to be healthy, rich, and beautiful. Brother Lawrence, however, says that God allows us to suffer so that we may be reliant on him. I don't know about you, but even though I find this idea slightly disturbing, I think he is closer to the truth than Joel, and Benny, and the rest of their ilk. I think I'll believe a 17th century monk who renounced everything for the sake of Christ over someone who lives in a 1.5 million dollar house in Houston, Texas.

Brother Lawrence then gives us the good news about suffering and illness: "I wish you were convinced that God is often closer to us in times of sickness and suffering than when we enjoy perfect health." May we run to God in times of suffering, rather than run away from him. May we see that he is closer when we hurt than when we don't. May we rest in the arms of the Great Physician and let him cure us, rather than blaming him for the suffering. May we let our suffering purify us and draw us near to the One we serve. Amen.

2 comments:

matt said...

I hear all of these dead guys talking about suffering as if it was something they enjoyed and, in the case of Julian of Norwich, even invited, and I realize how must I suffer as a citizen of the world. I certainly don't see suffering as a grace; it's an annoyance to me.

I have so far to go.

Brad Polley said...

that's what i've noticed too about these guys. i'm just trying to figure out how in the crap you get to the point where suffering is something joyful. i think it takes an insane amount of grace from God and a massive effort of our wills during times of suffering.

Subscribe