Kethuvim

It means "writings." I write things.

4:53 PM

What was Jesus really like?

Posted by Brad Polley |

Sounds like a strange question for a minister to ask, but I'd really like to know. We get a glimpse from the gospels as to what he was like (i.e. loving, compassionate, full of grace, accepting, etc.), but I want to know more. Did he have a sense of humor? I would think he would have to, because if he didn't, he would have killed his disciples after about a year with them. Was he nice? We generally like to think of Jesus as nice, but frankly, some of the stories of him in the gospels show a man who said scathing things against the Roman Empire and against the hypocrisy of the religious leaders of Israel. Did he do stuff as a kid to earn the anger of his parents? Probably.

I've been thinking about all of this recently because I've been reading a book by Christopher Moore entitled, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal. It's a fictional retelling of Jesus' life as told by his friend Levi, who is called Biff. Firstly, if you're a stuffy Christian concerned with correct doctrine, don't read the book. You'll miss the humor in it (of which there is plenty), and just get mad. I've read the book twice now and I like it because it causes me to think about what Jesus was like, especially as a kid. My guess is that he was mischievous like any other kid. He probably pulled pranks on his friends, had a boyhood crush, etc. Thinking of Jesus in this way only makes me love him more. I love to contemplate the human side of Jesus; the side that struggled with temptation, got into trouble as a kid, had his heart broken by his friends, that kind of stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I'm impressed by the healer Jesus, the Jesus who could walk on water, the Jesus who could rise from the grave, but I'm more impressed with the Jesus who touched lepers because he loved them and ate in the homes of those who were hated by society. Think about Jesus as a human being, not just as divine, and I think you'll find a Jesus that you never knew.

2 comments:

Ellen said...

i think Jesus would have the 1st century equivalent of tattoos and pereircings. The religious leaders couldn't stand him.
I think he was blunt, loud and kinda rude. He didn't soften things when he said them- he said it like it was.
And I bet he had really bad b. o.
am I gonna have to suffer a little longer in puragory because I just supposed that the God of all the universe smelled really gross? Opps...

question about the handicap sign next to the comment word verification thing- does it mean people who have a disability can still access this? they should have picked a different symbol, its annoying/confusing/frustrating

Brad Polley said...

You're probably right on all counts. Not sure about spending time in purgatory and stuff, but who knows. I'm not really sure about the nadicap sign either. The first time I saw it, I thought it was a bit strange myself.

Subscribe