Kethuvim

It means "writings." I write things.

8:15 AM

Bite Back

Posted by Brad Polley |

Hey everyone.  April 25 is world malaria day (sounds nice doesn't it?).  I don't usually spend time stumping for causes on my blog, but this is a good one, and one that is close to my heart after spending time in Haiti.  I don't know how aware you are of the malaria problem in this world, but let me give you some statistics.  


It's caused by mosquito bites
350-500 million cases of malaria each year
Malaria causes 20% of all childhood deaths in sub-Saharan Afr
ica
90% of all malaria deaths occur in Africa - nearly 1 million people a year
Malaria kills 3,000 children every day

And the worst part?  It's totally preventable.  $10 will provide a mosquito net to put over a bed. It also provides education on prevention and medicine.  I believe it is the duty of Christians to eradicate problems like this.  This one is easy to eradicate.  Go to http://biteback.net and make a donation to this cause.  If you're reading this and you have a youth group, get them involved and do a fundraiser.  I'm doing one this summer.

This is close to my heart.  When I was in Haiti we were helping 
with a nutrition clinic, and a bunch of children came up to us, raised their arms and wanted us to hold them.  One little girl came to me and climbed onto my lap.  I knew something was wrong immediately because she didn't seem to have any energy like the other kids.  She wouldn't smile.  She eventually fell asleep on my chest.  One of the guys on the trip was a medical student and he came by and immediately took her to the medical clinic.  She was diagnosed with malaria.  The doctors said that if she would have waited another few days, she would be dead.  Here's a picture of her.
This the face of malaria.  Please donate.
  

0 comments:

Subscribe