Kethuvim

It means "writings." I write things.

2:27 PM

Huh?

Posted by Brad Polley |

Over thanksgiving I went to my in-laws. This isn't the real story though. At some point we passed a church in their area and I saw a sign that made me do a double-take. They had a sign out front that was adverstising their coming Christmas dinner theater. The name of the dinner theater? Extreme Christmas. No wait...X-treme Christmas. After I finished laughing, I thought, "What exactly is extreme (x-treme) about the Christmas story?" Then I thought, "Didn't the "X-treme" marketing thing end like 10 years ago?" Apparently not.

I started perusing the Christmas story in the Bible and I didn't find the part where the baby Jesus burst from the womb on a snowboard holding a Mountain Dew. Perhaps I missed it. Wasn't the first beatitude "Blessed are the gnarly, for they will inherit the surf"? Anyway, I really wish I could get tickets to this dinner theater to watch the angels and wise men doing 360s and fakies. Good stuff.

3 comments:

matt said...

don't you wish you had a camera to take a picture of that. that's too good to pass up.

matt said...

you know what bothers me about the extreme thing is the total lack of creativity that exists in a lot of churches. you can't tell me that the God who created the universe and thought all of this up failed to create people who had a little bit of that creative spirit in them, too. sad.

even sadder is that there isn't one thing extreme about the message of Jesus anymore as it is presented by the American church. if it was preached in its fullest you would have a lot less people uselessly crowding your churches as nothing more than a pew sitter.

Brad Polley said...

i'm just at a loss to even fathom what they could mean by "extreme christmas." i consider myself quite possibly one of the most uncreative people in the world, and i would never in a million years name something "extreme."

Subscribe