Kethuvim

It means "writings." I write things.

12:11 PM

See the heart

Posted by Brad Polley |

In Isaiah 11, we read of the Branch from Jesse. This is a prophecy of the coming Mashiach (for those of you Hebrew speaking types), or Messiah (if you prefer to stick to English). At the tail end of verse three it says this about this man who is to come:

"He will not judge by what he sees with his eyes, or decide by what he hears with his ears."

As Christians, we believe that this passage obviously speaks of Jesus. If we're going to agree that the point of being a disciple of a rabbi is to be like the rabbi, then I believe we need to pay serious heed to this statement in Isaiah. It says that Jesus did not judge by what he sees or hears about someone. This means that Jesus used some other way to make his calls about someone's character. Jesus looked at the heart of a person to determine who they really were. See his statements to the religious leaders when he calls them dirty cups, whitewashed tombs, etc. He basically told them that on the outside they looked great and together, but on the inside they were filled with death.

Does anyone else suck as badly at this deal as I do? I think it's human nature to see someone and immediatey make a judgment call on their personality. To be like Jesus in this area takes a tremendous effort of our wills with the nudging of the Holy Spirit. It takes a constant prayer of, "Lord, let me see people as you do."

I want to be the type of person that doesn't judge by what I see or hear about a person. I want to be a person that can see past all of the superficial crap in a person, and see their heart. I guess I want to be like Jesus, but I know I have so far to go.

4 comments:

matt said...

that's a great verse. Isaiah is the best prophetic book in the Bible, maybe even the best book period. i reposted this on my blog without your permission and i don't care if you mind.

i did give you credit for it so that's got to count for something.

matt said...

i've decided to change my posting name. what do you think of the new one? Brad may be the only one that understands it. it made me laugh.

Brad Polley said...

can i change my name to funke?

matt said...

i almost did actually.

next week i might change it to white power bill.

Subscribe