Kethuvim

It means "writings." I write things.

4:10 PM

Jesus with mustard and relish

Posted by Brad Polley |

Howdy everyone (read: "all four of you"). I just returned from Nashville with 25% of my reading audience. We went to the Youth Specialties convention and "learned more about youth ministry" (read: "watched a great deal of football"). It was a good convention I suppose. There were 7500 youth ministers there, which meant that we had to hold the main sessions in the Gaylord Entertainment Center (I'll let you stop laughing before I go on)...which is where the Nashville Predators play hockey. My brother and I noticed something quite funny during the main sessions. Did I say "funny"? I meant "damning."

They sold concessions at the main sessions. I'm not just talking about Testamints and Jesus-flavored fruit drinks, I'm talking about popcorn, hot dogs, and the such. So we're standing there "worshipping God" while the guy next to us is masticating a tube of faux meat on a bun. I asked myself, "Self, what would a non-Christian think if they came in and someone was singing to Jesus while cramming their gullet full of popcorn?" Has our consumerism become such a problem that making ourselves more obese can't be put aside for an hour or so of worship? I was slightly perturbed, because if you were an outsider looking in, you would think it was just another concert. I'm pretty sure if we were living in the Old Testament times, the entire arena would have collapsed on us all. Thank you Lord for your mercy and patience. Any thoughts?

2 comments:

Tim Schmoyer said...

I also was at the NYWC last weekend and noticed all the food being sold for the general sessions, but I didn't think about how that would look to an outsider. Thanks for your thoughts on that.

matt said...

the church makes me sad right now. so much potential and yet we are so blinded by consumerism and materialism that we can't see how screwed up we are. and even worse than that we've been like this for so long that we have baptized consumerism, materialism and self-help religion and made them virtues to admire and build a church with.

Subscribe